Sunday 24 June 2012

Family Shopping

Family is the best gift that you could ever have, it has to be appreciated for many reasons but it can also be seen as the worst thing to ever have, it is a gift and a curse. Unlike friends, lovers, and even neighbors family is the thing with many mistakes that you still have to smile with only because they are family. They can wrong you in such a way that if it was just a person you would even kill them, but since it is family you have to forgive even if you are not given a detailed apology but as long as the word family is included in it you have to forgive.

Family has grandparents that you see occasionally, they smile everytime when they see you and if you are not their favourite grandchild they will not smile that much at you, but you still have smile that much at them because 'they are your grand parents'. Family also has all of these aunts that will tell you how much you have grown when you meet on family gatherings, but as soon as you guys spend more than just a weekend together they change their story to how disrespectful you are. These aunts always talk about how they used to respect their elders back in their days and also touch on how proud they are of their chidren, which according to you are spoilt brat that you could never be even in your wildest dreams. Should i talk about all of the uncles that pretend to be your father even though they have never provided you with a plate of food even if it was for a single night? Let us not even get to the part of all the cousins that you have to try to get along with and you do not even know how you are related to them. As soon as you make an effort of a conversation with them if they do not tell how perfect their lives are, they tell you how well they get along with other cousins that you have never heard of and and you do not know how you are related to them either.

The best family that you have is your immediate one, although it also has its flaws but it is much better than the extended one. In this family you have a big brother/sister that is in tertiary or in the early stages of their career and you are always reminded of how proud your parents are of them. You also have a kid brother/sister who is this spoilt brat who gets his/her way with everything and you guys do not get along that well, but you still love them more than they could ever love you. Most of the time when you look at your family you doubt that they love you as much as you love them, but you still do not mind.

Your mother is the best mom that you could ever have, and you are forever grateful to God that he made this amazing woman to be your mother. You love her unconditionally.

Should i talk about fathers? Fathers are not that important regardless of how good or bad they are. As a matter of fact the more useless a fathers gets the more important he becomes, because children who were abondened by their fathers appreciate the idea of "fathers" far more than those whose fathers are around. If your father works hard to provide for his family he is not around for most of the time, but you do appreciate that he is doing all that he does because of you. If he works for his family and also has enough time to himself, he is still not that much around because he uses his free time to watch soccer matches and hang around with his friends, or even worse picking up women might be in his to-do list. this is the most thought-about father of them all, because such fathers are usually stressful.

When I said Family Shopping   I did not mean shopping with your family, but I meant shopping for a new family. Most people would change their famalies if they could, or at least make a few adjustments. If God would give you an opportunity to get inside a family retail store, how would you shop for your family? I have went family shopping countless times in my head and it has always went like this:

I would shop for my grandparents like a skincare product because if it favours your skin it brings out the best in it, and when I have found "The grandparents glowing skins skincare" that favours my skin i would take about 200ml because as much as i need it but it is only for special occasions. When shopping for aunts i would take about 2kg of "Auntie aunts powder" because having too much of it would end up getting on my nerves but i still need it. Honesly I would not shop for uncles, but if the cashier keeps them by the cash till only then would i consider taking "Uncle bar-one" if there is some change left in my pocket. I would shop for my cousins as refuse bags. The need for "Couzzie's disposal bags" will only rise if there is an interest I am trying to fulfil, if not, we would not even cross paths. I would shop for my siblings as soft drinks because "Sista-brother Cola" would come in handy when I'm trying to relax. Mother is the most essential product of them all, I would purchase as much as 80kg of "Big mama's maize meal" because this is where I get my stability from. I would purchase my father as an instant porriedge so that he would come instantly when I need him. I would only have 5kg of "Big daddy's instant porriedges" because as much as i need him but too much of him would end up getting on my nerves.

I now walk out of the retail store with my head held high as i read the slogan that says "if you don't like them you can always return them".

This whole article was just a very childish and impossible thought because we all know that you can choose your friends but not your family. If you really want to have control of the people that you have around you, you can always shop for your friends.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

7 comments:

  1. it's only a pleasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well If I had to adjust I will definately buy a watermelon chappies for an uncle bcoz as soon as there is no sugar I throw t away nd I honestly agree with u on aunts with spoilt brats they can ruin your holidays I'm telling u

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm. Love the whole family shopping angle! In quite honest fact I couldn't agree more myself. There's just some family members that one most certainly could do without (especially the extended family members), i've been fortunate to have grown up in an environment that has kept me away from family contact since I was young (thank you boarding school for saving my sanity), you really see how little you matter to everyone (except your mom, bless those creatures)when you're in a predicament that calls for the so called "blood is thicker than water". Long story short for my family shopping i'd buy my mom as a blanket because she has always kept me warm and nicely tuck in to keep me from harm and well the rest I would buy as toilet paper that way i could always flush them down the loo once they start giving me feces as i'd expect them to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yey we sya that phrase"blood is thicker than water" is just emotional blackmail for them to get their way

    ReplyDelete
  5. If i had to choose, it would be a complete make over. On the point you make on Fathers, i think they are equaly important to our mothers. Lets not generalize, some men can have one partner and dont like soccer. I think they deserve more credit than that given to them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fana what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Matter of fact my own father is one of those (i hope) but having not grown up around him (i had to teach myself how to ride a bike and how to drive even) his significance in my life is quite insignificant, I don't regard financial back up as "being there"..but you've got a point.

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for the love